The title, Our Lady of Sorrows, given to our Blessed Mother, refers to the seven dolors or seven sorrows of Mary which were foretold by the Priest Simeon:
And Simeon blessed them, and said to Mary his mother: Behold this child is set for the fall, and for the resurrection of many in Israel, and for a sign which shall be contradicted; And thy own soul a sword shall pierce, that, out of many hearts, thoughts may be revealed. (Luke 2: 34-35)
The seven sorrows of our Blessed Mother are:
- The prophecy of Simeon.
- The flight of the Holy Family into Egypt.
- The loss and finding of the child Jesus in the Temple.
- Mary’s meeting of Jesus on His way to Calvary.
- Mary’s standing at the foot of the cross when our Lord was crucified.
- Mary’s holding of Jesus when He was taken down from the cross.
- Our Lord’s burial.
At Fatima, Our Lady asked for reparation to be made to her Immaculate Heart for all of the sins and offenses and blasphemies being committed in our world today. What better way to celebrate and reflect on the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows than to recite a prayer of reparation to Our Lady of Sorrows which you can find here.